An Introduction to Vinyl Fencing
The Ultimate Guide to Vinyl Fencing
In this quick and easy guide, you will learn what Vinyl Fencing is made of and its main characteristics. You will learn the benefits of installing a Vinyl Fence over other fence materials. Keep reading for tips and tricks on how to maintain your vinyl fence to ensure a long, beautiful lifespan.
Whether this is your first time exploring fencing or whether you are ready to upgrade your beloved fence that has withstood the test of time, the following information will help with your understanding of the value and care of PVC fencing.
What is PVC?
Vinyl fencing is made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which is a type of plastic. It is non-toxic and doesn’t splinter and doesn’t require sharp nails or fasteners during installation⁴. Vinyl fences are easier to construct compared to wood fences. Therefore, making them appealing for the do it yourselfers. Vinyl fencing come in many styles that are difficult to build out of wood. They don’t require toxic or harmful chemicals to maintain, therefore are safe around pets and children². The beauty of Vinyl fencing attracts neighbors and passersby. On top of that, it is not going to take a lot of time to install this fence³. However, extreme weather can damage the material⁵ and algae, mold, and mildew can cause staining⁵.
Heading #1: Advantages of Vinyl Fences
Heading #2: Lifetime of Vinyl Fences
Heading #3: Vinyl Fence Maintanence
Here are some advantages of vinyl fences over other types:
Vinyl fences are low maintenance and easy to clean.
They are durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
They are resistant to rotting, fading, and discoloration.
They are available in various styles and colors.
They are eco-friendly as they don't require painting or staining.
How long do Vinyl Fences Last?
A vinyl fence typically lasts 20 to 30 years provided it's properly installed and maintained, but some vinyl fences can last 50 years or more. ¹²
Here are some tips for maintaining a vinyl fence:
Regularly wash the vinyl fence with water and soap to remove dirt and stains.
Remove any traces of mold and mildew with a mild bleach solution or a commercial cleaner.
Cut any overhanging tree or plant branches that may damage or scratch the fence.
Stick to a regular inspection schedule and check for any cracks, holes, or loose parts.
Don’t place dirt and gravel on the vinyl fence as they may cause discoloration or erosion.
Fix any damage immediately by replacing or repairing the affected parts. ¹²³⁴⁵
Source: Conversation with Bing, 7/5/2023
(1) The Ultimate Guide to PVC / Vinyl Fence [Updated for 2023]. https://www.usfenceguide.com/vinyl-fence/.
(2) Vinyl Fence Guide – What You Need To Know - Fence Resource. https://fenceresource.com/vinyl-fence-guide/.
(3) Vinyl Fence: 11 Answers You Need To Know – DIY Home Owner Hero. https://diyhomeownerhero.com/vinyl-fence/.
(4) Vinyl Fencing Pros and Cons - The Spruce. https://www.thespruce.com/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-pvc-vinyl-fence-2130909.
(5) What to Know When Building a Vinyl Fence - Bless'er House. https://www.blesserhouse.com/what-to-know-when-building-a-vinyl-fence/.
(1) How Long Does a Vinyl Fence Last? - Angi. https://www.angi.com/articles/how-long-does-vinyl-fence-last.htm.
(2) How Long Do Vinyl Fences Last: A Comprehensive Guide. https://homeinspectioninsider.com/how-long-do-vinyl-fences-last/.
(1) Fence Maintenance: 5 Easy Ways to Maintain a Vinyl Fence. https://blacklinehhp.com/maintain-vinyl-fence/.
(2) 5 Tips for Maintaining Your Vinyl Fence - fenceunion.com. https://www.fenceunion.com/post/5-tips-for-maintaining-your-vinyl-fence.
(3) Quick Tips for Maintaining Your Vinyl Fence. https://www.fencemastersinc.com/quick-tips-for-maintaining-your-vinyl-fence/.
(4) Tips on How to Maintain Vinyl Products | Valleywide Fence. https://www.vwfence.com/post/tips-on-how-to-maintain-vinyl-products.
(5) How to Maintain a Vinyl Fence - FenceGnome. https://www.fencegnome.com/blog/vinyl-fences/how-to-maintain-vinyl-fence/.
(6) How to Clean a Vinyl Fence? Step-by-Step Cleaning Guide. https://homeinspectioninsider.com/how-to-clean-a-vinyl-fence/.